Sunday, April 29, 2012

4/29/12 Trail Angel’s Place (aka The Bear’s PCT Hikers’ Oasis), left trail at Cottonwood Rd, mile 211, 23.5 miles


(Sent as phone text. Received by Sarah May 2 due to the mysteries and vagaries of patchy cell phone coverage. More added from journal when Sarah met Jay on May 5.)

The morning dawned still and calm. My shoes were frozen, but my water bottle was not, fortunately. The snow was frozen so hard I could almost skate upon it. Not very reassuring on steep ground while carrying a heavy pack! I used crampons to descend to about 7,000 ft, then was able to continue on dry trail.

I had a long descent to I-10 at 1,198 feet elevation with fifteen miles between water sources. Got really lucky and met a guy who drove me to Albertsons, 14 miles, then back to a trail angel’s place.  

This is a wonderful place where I’m staying. Amenities include foot bath, salad, ice cream. I’m treating blisters on my left heel and right big toe, and meeting many nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment