Saturday, April 28, 2012

4/28/12 Castle Rocks, mile 187.5, 16.5 miles

My phone battery is totally dead, so no pictures and no GPS.

It was 40˚F at 7:30 a.m.  Lots of snow on the trail today.  I used the crampons and ice axe a good bit.  I found it exhausting to go uphill in crampons, but there were places where the trail was totally covered with snow.  Most of the time I followed other people’s tracks, using my map to verify that the tracks were heading in the right direction.  The map gave me confidence in my location, the tracks gave me confidence that someone else had already made it through.  At one point I was down to following one set of tracks.  Then I met the guy who had been making the tracks, coming back toward me.  “I just can’t find the trail,” he told me, and went on backtracking.  So with unbroken snow ahead, I used the topo map and finally did find the trail.  What a relief. 

I camped at 8,500 feet altitude at 6:30 p.m..  I couldn’t have made it through today without the help of other people's tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment