Thursday, April 26, 2012

4/26/12 Hwy. 74, (Pines to Palms Hwy. ), mile 151

(sent as phone text)


At 2 a.m. my tent collapsed during a storm.  The door half of the tent was soaked, puddles of standing water on it.  I was left to spend the night curled into the foot end, wind buffeting my body, needing to pee, but unwilling to get soaked crawling through collapsed tent. 

It was 40˚F when I got up at dawn.  Wind and rain still my companions.  I threw everything into my pack and hiked downhill for an hour, getting off the mountain and out of the storm.  Took a picture of my drying gear when I finally stopped. 
At Hwy 74, there is a cafe with fantastic pie about a mile down the road. Had to skip it due to timing of the day. 

There has been virtually no phone coverage for the last two days. My phone battery is very low.

Today I had a long climb upward toward the San Jacinto Mountains. Found buried treasure right where I had left it. Arrrrgh!

Weather clearing.
-JayBird 

(Note from Sarah:  A week ago, on our way to the PCT trailhead, we stopped near Hwy. 74 and buried Jay’s ice axe. That's the treasure he is referencing. He may well need it in the San Jacinto Mts., especially on Fuller Ridge, but he had no desire to carry it the first 150 miles through the desert!)

No comments:

Post a Comment