Monday, April 23, 2012

4/23/12 Past Scissors Crossing, mile 86, 24 miles hiked

Stopping in a sparse patch of shade for a rest and snack.
Incredibly gentle gradients have made elevation gain and loss almost unnoticeable today, except that one can’t help noticing the fantastic views. I enjoy seeing for miles ahead and behind me, watching the trail undulate along mountainsides, around the heads of gullies, across valleys.

This morning my first order of business was to pack up and head for water. I found that wonderful life-saving liquid just 6.5 miles down the trail on Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail. Fortified with water and breakfast, I continued on, following a circuitous route as the PCT wound around private land, working at staying on public land. After all that winding around, it was quite a contrast to cross the northern part of Earthquake Valley on an arrow-straight trail.

Jay chats with another thru-hiker resting in the shade. Hiking
in the morning and evening and resting mid-day is a smart
idea in the dry heat here.
On my way to a water cache at Scissors Crossing, I passed through a beautiful hidden garden. Yuccas pointed tall stalks to the sky, covered with whitish-purplish globe-like blossoms. Clusters of prickly pear sprouted pink blossoms near my feet, and every barrel cactus wore a crown of yellow blossoms. In this spiny garden I met a horned toad who graciously posed for several pictures.

I also saw two rattlesnakes today. One was in the classic pose, head up, tail coiled, raised rattle buzzing wildly. Took a picture.

After replenishing water, I began a gradual climb into the San Felipe Hills. Bizarre ocotillo stems, standing 10 – 15 feet tall, sported delicate green leaves and red blossoms. I found a very nice campsite, all alone. Although it is a dry camp, I have enough water for dinner and breakfast, before continuing in the morning. 

Once again, I am feeling fine after a day of hiking, meeting interesting people, seeing spectacular scenery, and just living outdoors.
-JayBird

Long view of Hauser Canyon. Note Barrett Lake in the distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment