Friday, April 20, 2012

4/20/2012 Lake Morena Campground, mile 20.5, hiked 20.5 miles

Sunscreen here is a must! Jay applies it before his first day -
his 20 mile slackpack back to Lake Morena.
It was a sunny day with temperatures of 56ºF at 7:30 a.m., 85ºF at  I was surprised at the lushness of the vegetation. Lots of green grass, tall shrubs, flowers made a green landscape with outcrops of gray granite. I felt as if I were strolling through Eden – complete with the snake! Luckily the rattler gave me warning with six inches of hissing head and fangs swaying over coiled, buzzing tail. After a few tense moments, he agreed to lay down and let me photograph him. There were also many birds: turkey vultures, acorn woodpeckers, ravens, mourning doves, quail and many others. 

Lake Morena from the trail



 Thanks to Sarah, I was able to hike light today, carrying 11 pounds of water, 2.5 pounds of food, and perhaps 6 pounds of equipment. She kept tent, sleeping bag, etc. at Lake Morena Campground, 20 miles from the start of the PCT while I hiked with light heart and nearly empty pack. 



Jay at Hauser Creek, where he met Sarah
for lunch on Day 1. 




Today I hiked all of the distance at once because I was eager to reach Sarah at the campground. She surprised me at Hauser Canyon, and we were able to hike together for the last 4 miles. It will make more sense, as the weather gets hotter, for me to sit out the mid-day heat and make miles during the late afternoon and early evening. 

That’s all for now. More soon.
-JayBird



Morena Butte on the left and the trail dropping into Hauser Canyon


No comments:

Post a Comment