Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Echo Lake to Sierra City

Northern California, Echo Lake to Sierra City

6/30/2012, Bear Creek, mile 1,124.0, 29.5 miles traveled.

Sarah dropped me off at the Echo Lake Resort at 7:00 am.  The trail took me into the Desolation Wilderness just southeast of Lake Tahoe.  I ascended to Dicks Pass, 9,380 ft., past several beautiful alpine lakes backed by the stunning Crystal Range.  Dicks Pass marks the last time I will exceed 9,000 ft. elevation while hiking north on the PCT.  I passed several large youth groups and eventually met Sarah at 4:30 pm.  She had parked at Barkers Pass and hiked several miles south to meet me with the tent, sleeping bags, and a wonderful supper.  Sarah turned around and hiked north with me to Bear Creek, where we made camp at 7:30 pm.  I enjoyed carrying only 10 pounds, but was still very tired from the long miles on rocky tread.


Lower Echo Lake


Upper and Lower Echo Lakes


Tamarack Lake in Desolation Wilderness.


Lake Aloha and Pyramid Peak, 9,983 ft.


Heather and Susie Lakes.


Heather Lake with Crystal Range.


Susie Lake and Jacks Peak, 9,856 ft.


Looking south at Crystal Range from Dicks Pass, 9,380 ft.


Looking north from Dicks Pass at Dicks Lake.


Fontanillis Lake and Dicks Peak, 9,874 ft.

7/1/2012, South Judah Loop trail junction, mile 1,153.5, 29.5 miles traveled.

Sarah and I began hiking at 6:00 am and soon reached the car at Barkers Pass.  After breakfast, Sarah began driving toward our next rendezvous while I continued hiking into the Granite Chief Wilderness just north of Lake Tahoe.  The trail followed ridge tops past Squaw Valley, the site of the 1960 winter Olympics.  After topping one saddle, I came face to face with a coyote.  After a brief stare down, it turned and loped over the side of the ridge and out of view.  I figure it was hunting marmots.  Towards the end of the day, my lower back became very tired.  I met Sarah near Anderson Peak at 6:30 pm.  She had parked several miles north of there at the Donner Pass trailhead.  We had another great dinner, and hiked north together until a nearly full moon rose.


Indian paintbrush.


Hoodoos in the Granite Chief Wilderness.


Looking south at Lake Tahoe from near Ward Peak.


An abundance of mule’s ear (sunflower family) in Granite Chief Wilderness.


Looking south along PCT toward Anderson Peak, 8,683 ft.


Late evening snow field traverse.


Wild onion on volcanic gravel.

7/2/2012, Dirt road, mile 1,183.5, 30.0 miles traveled.

We started hiking at 6:00 am and soon came to Roller Pass.  An informative sign marked this critical site on the Emigrant Trail where pioneers had to lift all of their wagons up a cliff with a 400-ft. chain and several oxen.  We descended a steep, rocky trail to the Donner Pass trailhead, where Sarah resumed driving and I continued hiking.  I climbed through a jumble of granite outcrops until the trail took me under Interstate 80.  I hiked for most of the day in the Plumas National forest.  I saw lots of day hikers, but not any thru-hikers.  My lower back was still hurting.  I tried putting more force on my trekking poles and flexing my abdominal muscles as much as possible.  I met Sarah at 5:30 pm.  We ate dinner and continued hiking until 8:30 pm.  Sarah made reservation at a motel in Sierra City for the next night.


Sign marking crucial point on the Emigrant Trail.


Looking over the brink of Roller Pass on the Emigrant Trail.


Looking north into Toms Valley.


Fordyce and Meadow Lakes.


Flowers on ridge above Moscove Meadow.


Peep hole in hoodoo.

7/3/2012, Sierra City, mile 1,197.5, 14.0 miles traveled.

Sarah and I began hiking at 6:00 am, eager to reach the motel in Sierra City.  We descended past Jackson Meadow, the site of a huge disaster in 1883.  We parted ways at Road 7, and I ascended Aspen Crest and dropped into Milton Creek Canyon.  After negotiating several fallen snags and descending a rocky cliff, I enjoyed a more relaxed gradient along the creek.  I crossed three fancy footbridges and met Sarah who had parked at Sierra City and hiked southwards.  Sarah meets several thru-hikers every time she hikes southward.  I, on the other hand, met only one other thru-hiker during this 103-mile leg of the journey.  We crossed the Yuba River on a really fancy bridge, and soon found ourselves back at the car.  We jumped in the car and drove to a nice motel in Sierra City.  Ah...sweet decadence at last.


Sign marking site of disastrous dam collapse during 1883.


Jackson Meadow Reservoir, just below disaster site.


Looking north down Milton Creek Canyon toward Sierra City.




Footbridge on Yuba River.


Yuba River from bridge.


Tiger lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment